Thursday, January 17, 2019

Semi-homemade Japanese Curry Chicken

We always have Golden Curry in our pantry! It's a staple like rice and pasta here. Golden Curry is basically solidified curry in a block, all you have to do is add water to liquefy it. It is the fastest and easiest way to get some Japanese curry in your tummy.

Google
Image from Google
This makes a perfect one pot wonder meal! It is entirely up to you to choose the ingredients; you can go from 0 ingredient (just curry with rice) up to 10 ingredients if you are super ambitious. Personally, I like sticking with my basics - onions, carrots, potatoes, and one type of protein (almost always chicken). I usually cook enough portion so Wayne and I can have it for lunch because we love leftovers! To give you an idea, for two people's two meals, I use half an onion, 4 carrots, 2 potatoes, and 2 chicken breasts. This is more than enough to give you food coma after lunch!

To prep: 
1. Dice everything. I like texture so I prefer everything a bit chunky but that takes longer to cook. If you're starving and can't wait, dice them smaller so they can cook faster.
2. Marinate the meat if you have time, it makes a difference! Will share how I marinate my meat on another post, another time! 

To cook: 
1. Heat oil in a pot and cook the onion until soft.
2. Dump the potatoes and carrots in.
3. In 5 minutes, dump the protein in.
4. Stir and cook for about 10-15 minutes depending on size, then dump the curry block and water in (see instruction on the box for water ratio). 
5. Stir occasionally until cooked. 
**(Don't forget to cook rice on the side!) **

This is pretty much the basic instruction on how to make box curry. It's simple and quick!

You can either end here, or you can do what I do and play with the flavor a bit. The reason I do that is because I find Golden Curry a good base for Japanese curry, but not the best tasting out there in my opinion. So what I do is I use curry powder, soy sauce, sugar, and sriracha and just start adding and mixing until I get to the taste I like. My advice is to do a bit at a time cause you don't want any condiment to overpower and ruin the taste, plus you don't want to mess with the curry texture and thin it out or thicken it too much.




Let me know if you guys cook this in other ways! My next challenge is to cook the curry with tonkatsu (Japanese fried pork chop)! 

Thank you for reading and happy eating! - Mich

PS. Here's a behind the scene with my favorite lighting fixture/person/husband lol



0 comments: